SILENCE showed admirable improvement to score a runaway win – going 1820 metres – on April 26 and ought to be followed when he tackles the higher class, over the same distance, in tomorrow’s opening event. It’s the first race in the Sunrise-6, and the three-year-old gelding is down to face five opponents, including age-group rivals NIGHT LIGHT and EL GATO. The Gary Griffiths-trained colt stayed with the field until two furlongs before exploding late to post a seven-length victory in a race that was completed in a fairly good 1:58.1 with splits of 50.2×1:15.1×1:143.2. Cheek pieces appear to have done the trick for the colt, and he should show further improvement and make it two in a row tomorrow. In Race Two, CLEARLY OURS has come down from $250,000 claiming to face a mainly out-of-form field and will win quite easily. The last time CLEARLY OURS ran in this class, she was beaten by three lengths by Quick Chic, but this is a much weaker field. SUPERIOR SPEED SIIMPLY THE BEST should use her superior speed to put away rivals in the third race. The four-year-old filly was slowly into stride and could not land a blow against Wayne DaCosta’s crack trio of Mr Universe, Loose Cannon, and Armagedon on April 22. These are more manageable, and she could turn this into a procession. Delroy Wisdom’s E.J. MAKIT has competed just twice, but it appears that he is now ready to beat a group which has been marking time in maiden company. One of these, SUBBIE, finished just a length ahead of the selection behind Henry The Second on April 22. Lasix has now been administered and the tongue tie fitted and E.J. MAKIT will be coming to run his best race to date. SURE STEP and GOLD MEMBER are the ones best equipped to take the fifth and sixth races, respectively. Both events are over 1000 metres straight. The former is not the best drawn but has shown a distinct likeness for the course, while GOLD MEMBER ran against a good field on March 25 and can always be relied on for a good run after a rest. 1. SILENCE 2. CLEARLY OURS 3. SIMPLY THE BEST 4. E.J MAKIT 5. SURE STEP 6. GOLD MEMBER SUNRISE-6 SELECTIONS
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita The next time the family visited, the markers had been replaced in the ground, but five feet from the original grave sites. The family never got a clear explanation of what happened. “It makes me think that there was something suspicious going on during that time,” said Olson, 81, a retired Burbank High School teacher. “I want to be with the rest of the relatives, but unless they get it running correctly, efficiently and legally, then I’m not sure we want any other relatives buried there, including me. It’s aggravating. We all feel some mental stress over the situation.” Olson and others are questioning the whereabouts of deceased family members interred at Grand View, whose operators have been accused in a lawsuit of removing remains from graves, discarding grave markers and reusing graves. The suit filed by Veronica Simmons, whose grandparents are buried at the 121-year-old cemetery, claims the operators “violated the legal duties owed to plaintiff by disinterring, mutilating, mishandling and otherwise mistreating the remains of decedents who were interred at Grand View Memorial Park.” Simmons’ suit claims unspecified damages for a number of issues, including breach of contract, negligence and unfair trade practices. Tina Mangarpan, the attorney representing Grand View in the Simmons case, did not return a call seeking comment. Milton Friedman, the director of legal administration overseeing Simmons’ case, has been talking to relatives of others interred at Grand View who are concerned about the fate of their loved ones. “This is to see when the burials were, how many there were,” he said. “Some of these people have eight, 10, 15 family members buried at the cemetery. They know when the person died, when they were buried or cremated, and whether they were put into the mausoleum. So these are the kinds of questions that we ask.” Grand View is also being investigated by the state Consumer Affairs Department, which during an inspection last year found the cremated remains of an estimated 4,000 people in storage rooms, a trash bin, on the floor and mixed with other remains. Consumer Affairs officials also allege shoddy record-keeping, and said they believe cemetery President Marsha Lee Howard, secretary Moshe Goldsman and two trustees resold grave sites and “loaned” themselves $40,000 from the cemetery’s endowment care fund, which was set up for grounds maintenance, records show. Howard did not return calls seeking comment. In an interview, Goldsman, who replaced Howard as the interim manager while the investigation is under way, said Grand View is cooperating with state authorities and working with families. “We’re dealing with it the best we can,” said Goldsman, who did not address the specific allegations. “We have a dedicated staff. We’re trying to help families the best we can right now.” State officials shut down new business in November and ordered the operators not to sell new graves. Grand View operators are due in court Jan. 19 for a permanent resolution to the Consumer Affairs case. Kevin Flanagan, a spokesman for Consumer Affairs, tried to calm concerns of those who have loved ones interred at Grand View. “Most, if not all, of the cremated remains are of people who were indigent or whose families never picked up their remains to begin with,” Flanagan said. “Obviously, when something like this happens, it always puts a little bit of doubt in a person’s mind: Is that really Grandma or Grandpa that was given back to me? “And the answer to that is, we have every reason to believe it was, but obviously, that doubt is nagging.” It has been bothering Louise Mixon, 74, of Simi Valley, whose grandparents, parents and aunt were cremated and interred there. “As far as I know, they were encrypted,” said the retired insurance assistant underwriter, who became concerned when she read about the allegations against the cemetery. “I haven’t been there in many, many years. I’m wondering, are they where they requested? “As far as I know, their remains are behind the wall. I don’t know. I just don’t know.” Thousand Oaks resident Dorothy Sinclair, 71, also wonders about the ultimate fate of her grandparents and parents, who are buried at Grand View. “It was always depressing to go there because the grounds and the markers were so neglected,” said Sinclair, a retired secretary. “You couldn’t even read the markers. They were covered with mud and grass. “It’s very upsetting to think that maybe their bodies were removed and their graves were resold. I don’t believe my parents’ and grandparents’ spirits are there. But I’d like to know that their remains are resting in peace and not being disturbed.” Jason Kandel, (818) 546-3306 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! GLENDALE – When his wife’s aunts were buried years ago at Grand View Memorial Park, David Olson had no doubt they would rest there in peace, along with six other relatives. Now he’s not so sure. A few years ago, he said, the family visited the cemetery and found the aunts’ grave sites disturbed. One grave marker was leaning against a tree, the other tossed aside. He asked a cemetery worker about it, and was told the markers had been moved so they wouldn’t be damaged as the cemetery prepared another grave site.