BRIGHT MOMENTS Schafer’s tenure on Jamaica’s bench did have a few bright moments – particularly the team’s capture of the Caribbean Cup in 2014 and its run to the final of the Gold Cup in 2015, where they lost 3-1 to Mexico. Schafer, who has also coached African powerhouse Cameroon, took over from Theodore Whitmore in the middle of 2013 towards the back end of a failed 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign. Meanwhile, Brown, who is said to be considering the prospect, is no stranger to the Jamaican head coaching job having led the national senior programme in three separate stints from 1990-1994, 2001-2004 and in 2006. With veteran Jamaican coach Carl Brown in the wings, under-fire Winfried Schaafer seems closer to the door, with general secretary of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Raymond Grant confirming to The Gleaner that discussions around a separation are currently underway with the German and his legal representative. Schafer is being represented by Queen’s Counsel K.D. Knight, and though no information was provided regarding the value of the customary severance package, it is widely believed that Schafer’s contract with the JFF saw him taking home US$5,000 on a monthly basis. “What I can confirm is that the Jamaica Football Federation is in discussion with Mr Schafer and his legal representative, QC K.D. Knight, as it relates to a separation,” Grant told The Gleaner yesterday. Grant pointed to the failed World Cup qualifying campaign, which saw the Reggae Boyz finishing last in their four-team group at the semi-final stage, in an embarrassing show that saw the team winning just once, while scoring the least (two goals) and conceding the most (10) in their six games. “After a failed campaign or programme, it is the responsibility of the JFF to review everything and see where we fell short, where we could have been better, what we need to do going forward, and things of this nature,” added Grant. “The board of directors met yesterday (Wednesday) and discussed the situation and determined that it was best to move in another direction,” said Grant. The administrator added that he does not expect the negotiations with Schafer to drag on for much longer. “The spirit of the discussions have been good. There has been a clear understanding between both sides and based on this, we expect that the finalisation of the agreement should be near,” said Grant.
THE Cebu City Council is looking into the purchase of 30 closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras worth P15 million by the executive department last year.“Was this (purchase of CCTVs) part of the disaster plan because as I remember there is no approved disaster plan yet. What’s the basis? Why was it paid? It never passed the city council,” Councilor Margot Osmeña asked yesterday.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES “Why are there cameras at the mayor’s office, is that part of disaster? Does this have approval by the disaster office,” Osmeña asked.MORE STORIESnewsinfoChinese workers in PH part of Beijing’s army? ‘Wild imagination’ – Esperonnewsinfo300 PNP-SAF members to do patrols, checkpoints in Negros OrientalnewsinfoConstruction of Makati subway to start in DecemberMORE STORIESnewsinfoChinese workers in PH part of Beijing’s army? ‘Wild imagination’ – Esperonnewsinfo300 PNP-SAF members to do patrols, checkpoints in Negros OrientalnewsinfoConstruction of Makati subway to start in DecemberEach camera costs P500,000. Ordesta said the amount includes installation of the system, server, connectivity, control center and network design to accommodate more cameras in the future.Ordesta said six bidders joined the pre-bid conference last Jan. 26, 2013 and Hello Marketing won the bidding.“Why were they paid quickly considering that other (suppliers) have not been paid yet?” Osmeña asked.The council invited Alvin Santillana, operations chief of the Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CCDRRMC), who requested the purchase to explain his side.ADVERTISEMENT They also invited a representative of Hello Marketing to attend the council session on Feb. 5. Correspondent Jose Santino S. BunachitaRead Next NAFTA: Democrats Leveraging the Trump Administration PCSO to focus on improving transparency of gaming activities PLAY LIST 03:26PCSO to focus on improving transparency of gaming activities01:39Sotto open to discuss, listen to pros and cons of divorce bill06:02Senate to probe Tolentino’s ‘novel legal theories’ on oral agreements01:50Palace open to make Dengvaxia usable again as dengue cases spike01:49House seeks probe on ‘massive corruption’ in PCSO01:37PCSO estimates P250M in Lotto revenue loss due to suspension Show me the money: Price-tagging Enrique Gil’s photos City Treasurer Diwa Cuevas said all documents were in order. The supplier was paid in September last year.She said the purchase didn’t need to secure the council’s approval since the purchase order for the CCTVs was prepared in February 2013.FEATURED STORIESNEWSINFOSenate to probe Tolentino’s ‘novel legal theories’ on oral agreementsNEWSINFOLocsin wants to drop ‘visas upon arrival’ privilegeNEWSINFOPasig to sue 6 enforcers for extortionA joint memorandum circular which requires council approval for the use of unspent disaster funds was passed the next month.Conrado Ordesta III, a Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) member who also heads the department tasked to monitor the CCTV feeds, said there are 20 CCTVs installed on Cebu City’s main thoroughfares while 10 are at the mayor’s office and basement parking area of City Hall. ACLU: 911 Toddlers and Babies Separated from Parents Locsin wants to drop ‘visas upon arrival’ privilege Senate to probe Tolentino’s ‘novel legal theories’ on oral agreements MOST READ ‘Ready for Sinulog street crowds’ PBA: Rain or Shine overcomes San Miguel, McCullough’s 51 to avert sweep Kids Festival Shooter in California Took Gun Illegally Capital One Data Breach Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments