– midwives to undergo training as ward expandsAfter months under construction, the Georgetown Public Hospital will now see an expanded maternity ward as the completion of the project is expected by May monthend.Pregnant mothers as well as those that have already delivered are forced to share a bed in the maternity wardThis is according to Public Health Minister Dr George Norton who told Guyana Times during an interview that space has also been high on the agenda of the ministry and as such they are pushing to have the project completed by next month.This comes at a time when the efficiency of the ministry is being questioned after photos of a mother with her newborn sleeping under a hospital bed in the ward went viral.Norton said this has always been a concern for the ministry as the amount of mothers admitted has been on the rise over the years.However he said, this is not an issue where there is lack of finances to purchases beds but rather insufficient space to house the mothers.Norton said this will soon be resolved since the ministry will be embarking on a number of initiatives to avert such situations.He said this includes the training of midwives since there has been a decrease in the number over the years.Norton disclosed that currently there are 39 midwives at the GPH’s maternity ward, compared to 48 last year.To address the shortage, the minister said three batches will be undergoing training throughout the rest of the year.Norton said this would be a major role in improving the delivery of health care, since patients would be adequately taken care of by the health practitioners.Also on the issue where mothers have to share beds, the minister said this will be taken care of once the expansion is completed.Meanwhile, 50 beds will be handed over to the maternity ward during this week to offer a short-term solution until May when the project is completed.On April 7, when this publication had visited the GPH maternity ward, some mothers complained of restless nights, of being unable to sleep due to the fact it is practically impossible to have a good night’s rest when they, just out of the delivery room, have to sleep with their new-born baby.The new mothers also expressed concerns over the manner in which the nurses carry out their duties, describing it as a “don’t care” attitude. Additionally, mothers recalled instances where as many as three babies had to share one incubator.Some of the patients were reluctant to be photographed for fear of being harassed; however, some were keen on having the issue highlighted.
While they may not have gotten their customary year-end bonus, a number of Guyana Defence Force (GDF) ranks and officers can go into the new year with smiles, as President David Granger has approved the promotions of 35 officers and 559 other ranks.Army Chief-of-Staff, Brigadier Patrick WestThe announcement was made by Army Chief-of-Staff, Brigadier Patrick West, who noted that the promotions were in accordance with Part III, Section 16 of the Defence Act 15:01 of 1977. He further noted that the promotions are with effect from January 1, 2018, except for two ranks promoted retroactively from January 1 of 2017.“Heading the list of promotions of officers is 99426 Substantive Major Michael Shahoud, who was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel along with three other Majors. Five Captains were promoted to the rank of Major while two acting and 19 Second Lieutenants were promoted to Substantive Lieutenants.”“Acting Lieutenant (Coast Guard) Travis Morgan was promoted to Substantive Lieutenant (Coast Guard) and headed the Coast Guard promotion list, while 99582 Substantive Captain Althea Stuart, who was promoted to the rank of Major was the only officer promoted from the Guyana People’s Militia.”According to the statement, Acting Warrant Officer Class 2 Eteki Stuart heads the list of other ranks promoted, while 18990 Substantive Petty Officer Everette Tudor of the Coast Guard was promoted to Senior Petty Officer and 17615 Acting Staff Sergeant Mark Bovell of the Guyana People’s Militia was confirmed in his rank.“At the Coast Guard, 62 Ratings were promoted to new ranks while 41 were confirmed in their present ranks totalling 103. The Guyana People’s Militia promoted 58 soldiers to new ranks while conforming 12 in their present ranks. The other 386 [promotions] represented 229 newly-promoted and 157 confirmed in their present ranks in the regular Force,” the GDF announced.
However it’s a different story when it comes to the year-to-date totals.This year’s two month total is eight point nine million, and the 2013 total for the same period was just four point four.Twelve permits were issued last month, raising the year-to-date total to thirty-one, and resulting in 44 point nine thousand dollars in city revenue.- Advertisement -That’s also slightly more than double the amount in the first two months of last year, when 17 permits resulted in just 22 point four thousand.
Originally set for Tumbler Ridge, Fort St. John and Chetwynd at the end of July, the job fairs were postponed after the mid-July the police shooting death of a 48 year old Dawson Creek man, following a protest complaint at a Site C Open House in that city.The Job Fairs will offer local area job seekers opportunities to meet with project contractors as construction moves forward through a series of court challenges.A fourth one was dismissed by a BC Supreme Court judge at the end of last week, when he rejected the application filed by the West Moberly and Prophet River First Nations seeking an injunction to block site preparation work launched last month.- Advertisement -That was the second Supreme Court loss for project opponents as the same Justice earlier dismissed a challenge by the Peace Valley Land Owners Association and the same two groups also lost Federal Court challenges.In addition, two other challenges, by Alberta First Nations were withdrawn before they got to federal court, meaning Hydro has cleared half a dozen judicial hurdles.“Whats outstanding right now is that PVLA has appealed the BC supreme court decision and the West Moberly Prophet River had filed an injunction against the permits that were issued for us to do work on crown land,” he said. “So that’s still outstanding has not been heard yet.”Advertisement It’s expected the First Nations permit case will be heard this fall, and they were reportedly encouraged with elements of last week’s Supreme Court decision.They noted the judge indicated if pre-site work results in a Treaty 8 First Nation losing a meaningful right to hunt, trap or fish in its traditional territory that could result in treaty infringement.“We are continuing to work with Aboriginal groups to address their concerns and identify opportunities for them to benefit from the project.” Conway said.In a news release they added, Hydro has agreed not to act on any of its permits in the Moberly River Valley, until the outcome of this case is known.Advertisement
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita The next time the family visited, the markers had been replaced in the ground, but five feet from the original grave sites. The family never got a clear explanation of what happened. “It makes me think that there was something suspicious going on during that time,” said Olson, 81, a retired Burbank High School teacher. “I want to be with the rest of the relatives, but unless they get it running correctly, efficiently and legally, then I’m not sure we want any other relatives buried there, including me. It’s aggravating. We all feel some mental stress over the situation.” Olson and others are questioning the whereabouts of deceased family members interred at Grand View, whose operators have been accused in a lawsuit of removing remains from graves, discarding grave markers and reusing graves. The suit filed by Veronica Simmons, whose grandparents are buried at the 121-year-old cemetery, claims the operators “violated the legal duties owed to plaintiff by disinterring, mutilating, mishandling and otherwise mistreating the remains of decedents who were interred at Grand View Memorial Park.” Simmons’ suit claims unspecified damages for a number of issues, including breach of contract, negligence and unfair trade practices. Tina Mangarpan, the attorney representing Grand View in the Simmons case, did not return a call seeking comment. Milton Friedman, the director of legal administration overseeing Simmons’ case, has been talking to relatives of others interred at Grand View who are concerned about the fate of their loved ones. “This is to see when the burials were, how many there were,” he said. “Some of these people have eight, 10, 15 family members buried at the cemetery. They know when the person died, when they were buried or cremated, and whether they were put into the mausoleum. So these are the kinds of questions that we ask.” Grand View is also being investigated by the state Consumer Affairs Department, which during an inspection last year found the cremated remains of an estimated 4,000 people in storage rooms, a trash bin, on the floor and mixed with other remains. Consumer Affairs officials also allege shoddy record-keeping, and said they believe cemetery President Marsha Lee Howard, secretary Moshe Goldsman and two trustees resold grave sites and “loaned” themselves $40,000 from the cemetery’s endowment care fund, which was set up for grounds maintenance, records show. Howard did not return calls seeking comment. In an interview, Goldsman, who replaced Howard as the interim manager while the investigation is under way, said Grand View is cooperating with state authorities and working with families. “We’re dealing with it the best we can,” said Goldsman, who did not address the specific allegations. “We have a dedicated staff. We’re trying to help families the best we can right now.” State officials shut down new business in November and ordered the operators not to sell new graves. Grand View operators are due in court Jan. 19 for a permanent resolution to the Consumer Affairs case. Kevin Flanagan, a spokesman for Consumer Affairs, tried to calm concerns of those who have loved ones interred at Grand View. “Most, if not all, of the cremated remains are of people who were indigent or whose families never picked up their remains to begin with,” Flanagan said. “Obviously, when something like this happens, it always puts a little bit of doubt in a person’s mind: Is that really Grandma or Grandpa that was given back to me? “And the answer to that is, we have every reason to believe it was, but obviously, that doubt is nagging.” It has been bothering Louise Mixon, 74, of Simi Valley, whose grandparents, parents and aunt were cremated and interred there. “As far as I know, they were encrypted,” said the retired insurance assistant underwriter, who became concerned when she read about the allegations against the cemetery. “I haven’t been there in many, many years. I’m wondering, are they where they requested? “As far as I know, their remains are behind the wall. I don’t know. I just don’t know.” Thousand Oaks resident Dorothy Sinclair, 71, also wonders about the ultimate fate of her grandparents and parents, who are buried at Grand View. “It was always depressing to go there because the grounds and the markers were so neglected,” said Sinclair, a retired secretary. “You couldn’t even read the markers. They were covered with mud and grass. “It’s very upsetting to think that maybe their bodies were removed and their graves were resold. I don’t believe my parents’ and grandparents’ spirits are there. But I’d like to know that their remains are resting in peace and not being disturbed.” Jason Kandel, (818) 546-3306 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! GLENDALE – When his wife’s aunts were buried years ago at Grand View Memorial Park, David Olson had no doubt they would rest there in peace, along with six other relatives. Now he’s not so sure. A few years ago, he said, the family visited the cemetery and found the aunts’ grave sites disturbed. One grave marker was leaning against a tree, the other tossed aside. He asked a cemetery worker about it, and was told the markers had been moved so they wouldn’t be damaged as the cemetery prepared another grave site.
Inter Milan have rekindled their interest in Manchester United full back Matteo Darmian, according to reports in Italy.The 27-year-old attracted the interest of the Italian giants last summer and in January, after struggling for regular first-team football at Old Trafford.United resisted temptation to sell Darmian, who became an important member of the squad, following an extended spell of injuries to team mates.However, speculation over his future is set to intensify again this summer and, according to SportItalia, Inter are considering making another move for the defender.Juventus also hold an interest in Darmian and the two Italian giants are set to battle it out for his signature.United boss Jose Mourinho has stood firm over the Italy international’s future at Old Trafford and unless he asks for a move, the Portuguese manager has revealed his desire to keep him at the club. 1 Matteo Darmian
3 On the morning of the game, though, he was icing his leg when team doctor, Daniel Martinez, came into the room holding an envelope. “He said: ‘Look, Ángel, this paper came from Real Madrid.’“I said: ‘What are you talking about?’“He said, ‘Well, they’re saying you’re not in any condition to play. So they are forcing us to not let you play today.’“I immediately knew what was happening. Everybody had heard the rumours that Real wanted to sign James Rodríguez after the World Cup, and I knew that they were going to sell me to make room for him. So they didn’t want their asset to be damaged.“It was that simple. That’s the business of football that people do not always see.“I told Daniel to give me the letter. I didn’t even open it. I just ripped it into pieces and said, ‘Throw it away. The one who decides here is me.’” Angel Di Maria says Real Madrid attempted to put pressure on Argentina not to play him during the 2014 World Cup final.The Spanish side wanted to sell the winger, who had injured himself during the quarter-final win against Belgium, but he was in no mood to sit this one out. 3 Di Maria won the Champions League with Real Madrid in 2014 Di Maria was forced off against Belgium Di Maria knew his manager, Alejandro Sabella, might not risk him, but that didn’t stop him from telling the national boss he was ready to try and help realise his and Argentina’s dream of being world champions.“I said, ‘If it’s me, it’s me. If it’s another, then it’s another. I just want to win the World Cup. If you call on me, I will play until I break.’”In the end he played no part in the 1-0 defeat, won by Mario Gotze’s extra-time goal, with Enzo Perez playing in his place.Shortly after, Di Maria, who helped Real win a tenth Champions League in May, was sold to Manchester United for £59m where he spent just one season before being sold to Paris Saint-Germain in 2015. 3 Di Maria left Real Madrid for Man United in 2014
DES MOINES, Iowa – Drake junior Kale Abrahamson (West Des Moines, Iowa) has been named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District First Team for his performance on the court and in the classroom, the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA), announced Thursday, Feb. 11. Abrahamson’s selection to the Academic All-District team makes him eligible for Academic All-America honors to be voted upon later this month. He is the lone Missouri Valley Conference men’s basketball student-athlete to earn a spot on the Academic All-District Team.Abrahamson earned the selection by virtue of his 3.77 grade point average in his Master of Business Administration coursework. A transfer from Northwestern, he graduated with a bachelors’s degree in psychology from Drake in May, 2015.On the court in his first season with the Bulldogs, he is the team’s second leading scorer at 11.8 points per game with 4.3 rebounds per outing. He has twice been named the MVC Newcomer of the Week and owns the nation’s 12th highest scoring performance this season with 41 points against Western Kentucky. He has led the Bulldogs in scoring four times this season and his three or more three-pointers in a game eight times. Abrahamson has also been honored as the MVC’s Scholar-Athlete of the Week twice this season. He and the rest of the Bulldogs return to action on Saturday, Feb. 13, when they face SIU in Carbondale, Ill., at 3 p.m.Print Friendly Version
Charlie McConalogue TD has said the Minister for Education should not proceed unilaterally with Junior Cert changes while teachers want more negotiations.Charlie McConalogue TDThe Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on Education and Skills said the Government has only itself to blame for the current state of relations with teacher representatives regarding reform of the Junior Cert.Deputy McConalogue commented: “It is no wonder relations between the Department of Education and teacher unions are at an all-time low when you consider the manner in which this government approached the issue of junior cert reform from the outset. “The Minister’s comments today that she intends to proceed with planned Junior Cert reforms without agreement will only serve to worsen relations with teachers. In fact such action would be extremely provocative given the fact that teachers have said they will not proceed with further strike action but do want more negotiations. I do not want to return to a situation where students could face more disruption in the run-up to exams.”He added the reality is the Government botched this reform process from the outset and alienated teachers in process.“You simply cannot engage in a reform of this magnitude without bringing key stakeholders with you. The genuine concerns that teachers were raising simply were not take into account until they had engaged in industrial action.“The Government needs to restore a spirit of partnership to the process of Junior Cert reform and just acting unilaterally will do nothing to bring that about.” GOV REAPING REWARD OF BOTCHED TEACHER ENGAGEMENT ON JUNIOR CERT REFORM – McCONALOGUE was last modified: March 1st, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Charlie McConaloguedonegalGovernmentJunior Cert
Arcata >> Just when it looked like the Jacks might be primed for a late-game comeback, it all fell apart.And in a hurry, too.Cal State Los Angeles became the latest team to roll into Lumberjack Arena and hand the Humboldt State men’s basketball team a loss on its home court, as the Golden Eagles closed the game on a 27-11 run to pull away for a 82-66 win over the Jacks on Thursday night.“(The game-ending run) was a turning point, but before that I thought the first half was a turning point …